Please see information below from about National Farm to School Month, including resources available on the new website, from Anupuma Joshi, the Director of the National Farm to School Network.
Farm to Institution Specialist
CS Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems
Michigan State University
303 Natural Resources Building
East Lansing, MI 48824-1222
From: email@example.com [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org] On Behalf Of Anupama Joshi
October is the 1st National Farm to School Month!
As you know in November 2010, Congress approved a resolution introduced by Representative Rush Holt (NJ) to officially designate October as National Farm to School Month. The passage of House Resolution 1655 demonstrates the growing importance and role of Farm to School programs as a means to improve child nutrition, support local economies and educate children about the origins of food.
I am delighted to inform you that the website we have been developing for National Farm to School month,www.farmtoschoolmonth.org, is now LIVE! The website houses general information about Farm to School Month as well as host of resources we developed in partnership with Pyramid Communications. All materials may be downloaded and used by any organization or individual seeking to promote Farm to School Month.
We are also seeking partners to help us spread the word and distribute these wonderful resources. If your organization would like to be listed as a partner, please send an email to email@example.com.
Here's a sample of the resources you will find at www.farmtoschoolmonth.org:
· A Communications Toolkit contains basic information about promoting National Farm to School Month, including a sample press release, social media suggestions and sample newsletter language.
· Downloadable logos.
· A fact sheet that explains Farm to School and National Farm to School Month and offers suggestions for how teachers, families, school food service professionals and farmers can get involved throughout October and beyond.
· A PowerPoint slideshow including the Farm to School Month logo and basic facts and statistics about Farm to School. Customize it to fit your needs.
· A sample menu that shows how you might incorporate language about Farm to School Month into your cafeteria menu.
· A poster, PSA ads and Spanish versions of most of the materials are coming soon.
We are extremely excited to celebrate the connections that are happening all over the country between schools and local food, and request each one of you to circulate this information through your lists to help us reach as many organizations, schools and farmers as possible to celebrating the first ever Farm to School Month!
Director, National Farm to School Network
UEPI, Occidental College