This is a reminder of a recently posted job announcement; we have extended the application deadline to February 28. Please feel free to circulate to individuals and appropriate networks……
Position Description – Academic Specialist
Michigan State University Center for Regional Food Systems
The Michigan State University (MSU) Center for Regional Food Systems (CRFS) is seeking an Academic Specialist to support outreach and research efforts promoting good food access and awareness in childhood development and education environments. The position will support existing CRFS initiatives and help to develop additional programming capacity in this arena.
Status: This is a full-time, annual year, temporary position. Initial appointment will be for one year with reappointment contingent upon funding and performance.
Available: April 1, 2013 or when suitable candidate is identified.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2013 or until suitable candidate is identified.
Starting Salary: Commensurate with education and experience up to $50,000 annually.
Reporting: Individual reports to Senior Associate Director, MSU Center for Regional Food Systems.
- Master's degree in food systems, public health, public policy, nutrition, education or related field.
- At least two years of experience with community food systems and/or early child care and K-12 education issues, environments and programs.
- Demonstrated project leadership, resourcefulness, and self-motivation.
- Ability to balance multiple simultaneous projects and to easily shift between working independently and as part of a team.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills and experience using a broad range of communications tactics.
- Ability to effectively engage and collaborate with diverse stakeholder groups such as academic faculty and staff, youth and adult community members, organizational partners and funders.
- Knowledge and use of technology in completing job requirements including Microsoft Office suite, web-based search and information systems, and phone/web conferencing systems.
- Available to travel throughout the state and within the U.S. and possession of a valid, current state driver's license
- Understanding of and commitment to equal opportunity/affirmative action and diversity/pluralism.
§ Develop and execute a strategic, multi-year outreach and research agenda, including the engagement of national organizations as partners, to promote good food access and awareness in early childhood development and education environments.
§ Support on-going Michigan Farm to School network efforts with an emphasis on early child care environments, including provision of training and technical assistance and development of resources;
§ Convene national and statewide project partners virtually and in person to enhance collective understanding and collaboration;
§ Develop and submit grant proposals, fulfill objectives and manage budgets and reporting requirements of grants awarded;
§ Develop publications, webinars and presentations, and other resources for diverse audiences;
§ Participate in relevant CRFS work group and/or community of practice as interest and time allows;
§ Document and share project work and accomplishments; maintain regular internal and external communication about project activities; develop and report on an annual plan of work;
§ Represent projects at local, state and national meetings;
§ Report to and collaborate with project principal investigators as funding requires;
§ Help to foster, facilitate and maintain CRFS culture of trust, support and accountability.
You must apply online to MSU Human Resources:
and look for job posting # 7350 (look under faculty/academic staff)
A cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position, Curriculum Vita or resume, and names and contacts for three references will be required as part of your application.
If you have questions about the position or search process, you may contact:
Rich Pirog, Senior Associate Director
MSU Center for Regional Food Systems
Phone: (517) 353-0694
Please do not send application materials directly to Rich Pirog.
CRFS Mission: CRFS works to engage the people of Michigan, the United States and the world in applied research, education and outreach to develop regionally integrated, sustainable food systems.
MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. Michigan State University employment opportunities are open to eligible/qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status.
480 Wilson Rd, Rm 313 | Natural Resources Building | East Lansing, MI 48824
(p) 517-353-0694 | (f) 517-353-3834