Registration is now open for the 2016 Regional MI Farm to School Trainings!
Coordinated annually by the MSU Center for Regional Food Systems, these trainings are an opportunity to identify concrete and practical steps for moving your program forward and network with other innovators working to increase local food purchasing in K-12 schools and early childhood programs. Whether you are brand new to farm to school or a seasoned expert, working in early childhood or K-12, attend one of these training opportunities to increase your knowledge of farm to school activities and gain new skills for beginning or expanding your farm to school programs.
Topics in this year's training include:
- Bright and innovative ideas from throughout the state
- Strategies for successfully procuring local foods according to USDA Rules and Regulations
- Seasonal menu planning for Michigan products
- Team development for sustainable farm to school programs
Trainings will be led by Abby Harper and Colleen Matts of the MSU Center for Regional Food Systems. Regional training dates, locations, and confirmed speakers are below. More details and additional speakers will be forthcoming.
· September 20, 2016 11:00 – 4:00 (lunch included) – Boyne Falls Public Schools, Boyne Falls
o Additional speakers: Nathan Bates, Food Service Director at Boyne Falls Public Schools, and Diane Conners, Groundwork Center for Resilient Communities
· September 22, 2016 12:30 – 4:30 (snack included) – Baxter Community Center, Grand Rapids
o Additional speakers: Mariel Borgman, MSU Extension Community Food Systems Educator, and Becky Kwasteniet, Food Program Manager at Baxter Child Development Center
· September 27, 2016 10:30 – 3:30 (lunch included) – Drew Transition Center, Detroit
o Additional speakers: Kaitlin Wojciak, MSU Extension Community Food Systems Educator
Trainings are free to attend, but registration is required. Register at http://msucarrs.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9Lbw3J4Olz1fB1H. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farm to School Specialist
MSU Center for Regional Food Systems
480 Wilson Rd Rm 309 | East Lansing, MI 48824
(p) 517-432-4525 (f) 517-353-3834